Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Navel gazing on a global scale

I have posted previously that I enjoy using Google Earth. I still do. It is a fantastic application. I can waste hours just browsing the entire planet. Microsoft has tried to imitate the success of Google Earth by releasing an application called Virtual Earth. No where near as good as Google Earth, or Google Maps, in my opinion. It is essentially a copy of Google Maps, but you can only use it in Internet Explorer, surprise, surprise.

Lets not forget NASA's entry into the fray with World Wind. An unfortunate beast with an awkward interface ans non intuitive navigation system.

Anyway, this is not why I am posting. I wanted to draw your attention to Google Sightseeing. This is a fun sight (if you like this kind of thing, and lets face it....I do!) It shows you some of the things in Google Maps that have been spotted by other people, and posted.

If you want to loose a few hours of your life, check it out. Browse the categories and follow the picture links to Google Maps. All postings have links to the Google Maps reference, from which you can easily find them on Google Earth, if you have it. If you don't, Google Maps is still bloody brilliant, and it works in Internet Explorer AND Firefox. YAY.

DPS.

No comments: